Re: Espeak Server Likes PulseAudio?

Tim Cross <theophilusx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Note that there should be no problems with alsa and pulseaudio. Pulseaudio
> is not a replacement for alsa. It is another abstraction layer on top of it
> and pulseaudio needs alsa

Part of the problem might be that PulseAudio holds devices open even when not
in use, so that applications which access the Alsa layer directly fail to open
audio devices.

As I remember, there is a way to configure PulseAudio to relinquish devices
temporarily that aren't being used by applications.

With apologies in advance if I am wrong in the above - it's a while since I
read about these issues.