Re: Emacspeak with eSpeak losing speech on Vinux 4

Tim,
Sorry, I may have misunderstood your message. The last thing I would recommend is to run as root.
I was reporting something that I thought might lead to a better understanding of the problem.
I recently moved to ubuntu 12.10 and started to have these problems. I'm pretty sure I wasn't experiencing these problems with ubuntu 10.04.
Unless I misunderstood, you're having to restart espeak frequently, this doesn't seem to be a very stable situation.

Can you explain why we're seeing emacspeak and espeak crashing after  a couple of key strokes under a normal user and not seeing any kind of crashing under root?

I'm running ubuntu 12.10.
emacspeak 37.0
emacs 24.1.
I open a new terminal login with control alt f[1-6], then invoke emacspeak.

Actually, it's coming back to me now. I used to disable gnome by changing the run level for the login to 3 or something other than the level that brings up the guy.
emacspeak and speak was rock solid after that.
I think gnome is messing things up.
I used to be able to do this in /etc/inittab, but that doesn't seem to be there anymore.
Thanks,
John