Re: Emacspeak with eSpeak losing speech on Vinux 4

On 05/12/2013 07:39 PM, Jason White wrote:
Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If I understand your setup and how our running emacs and emacspeak, I
don't think gnome-orca is the issue.

I agree. I've just discovered (under debian, at least, and it seems to be a
problem in the Espeak code itself) that the AUDIO=runtime compile-time flag,
which is supposed to invoke PulseAudio when the latter is available, always
uses PortAudio, hence ALSA directly, instead. The wrapper functions which are
meant to choose the output method dynamically are never called.

The result is that PulseAudio is bypassed unless Alsa is configured to use it
by default (in which case, we still get underruns and other errors about which
the Alsa library complains on standard error).

Interesting. I definitely get a different behavior when I recompile eSpeak myself using the runtime compile option. I don't get the chopping off of the last syllable that I get when I use the default PortAudio setting.

Thanks Jason and all for looking into this issue and the various suggestions I still need to work through myself.

I've formally reported the ESpeak bug to Debian, from where I expect it will
be taken upstream.

Note that Speech-Dispatcher is unaffected because it handles the audio output
directly rather than via ESpeak, whereas the Emacspeak speech server uses
Espeak itself to handle the output device.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail