Re: emacs-24.3 + emacspeak-39.0

I'm glad you were able to get things running.

I don't think you should need those two bits of defadvice you have added. Emacspeak already does the right thing when you move forward/backward by words. If using M-<left>/M-<right> was not moving and speaking by words as you wanted, then what you probably need to do is re-bind those keys. Have a look in emacspeak-keymaps.el to see what the default emacspeak keybindings are.

It is extremely rare to need to add additional advice to emacspeak to add spoken feedback for basic editing and movement commands. Usually, the only time it is necessary to add additional advice is when using a new mode or a mode not yet directly supported by emacspeak. In this case, given you are targeting basic movement commands, the functionality definitely exists, but perhaps not on the key bindings you would expect. Personally, I don't use the arrow keys for movement as I find it quicker to stick with the main keyboard and avoid having to move my hands too far from the "home keys".

One reason to be a little conservative when adding additional advice and new functions is for maintenance. Rather than have multiple bits of advice which do roughly the same thing, it is far better to have one. Then, when something in emacs changes, such as the recent change to interactive-p, less of emacspeak needs to change and less change means less chance of new bugs.

good luck

IT Security Manager, Information Technology
University of New England
Armidale N.Sl.W. 2350

Email: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +61 2 6773 3210