emacspeak operation failure

I kill speakup and this is running speakup_soft and start up emacspeak I hear the organ notes and a message saying this is emacspeak and nothing else. So I turn speakup back on and check the screen. I get process speaker not running. So I hit control-x+control-c to bail out. I get told processes are still running kill them y/n? I type y and am told to type yes or no. I type yes and am locked in that area and cannot exit emacspeak any ways other than the three finger salute or hitting the power button to shut the computer down. I did the bash alias near the end of Makefile and got the system pointed correctly.

We may almost be home but I don't know for sure.