Re: Emacspeak and unicode

Hello,
Here is how I understand the situation after studying Emacs a bit. I just started, so perhaps I don't know something obvious for everyone. I am using Emacs 24.5.1 under Windows. On my system, the encoding used is cp1250. But if I understand properly, the Emacs language environment for slovakia, "slovak language environment" uses latin-2. I don't understand how is this related and why Emacs for Windows doesn't use Windows locale. If I type a national character on my keyboard, I hear "latin small letter c with caron", or only "c with caron", if I for example arrow over the line containing the character. However I would expect Emacspeak to speak the character itself, not its description. My synth is able to handle it, but it needs the character to be encoded in cp1250. If I kill the line, it is copied to clipboard and text is correct, this is probably because Emacs knows about encoding and encodes the copied text correctly. Also what I don't understand is how the keyboard input is handled under Windows. I suspect it is translated to latin-2. Before I described this, I removed all related customizations. What I tried before was for example
(prefer-coding-system 'cp1250)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'cp1250)
etc. And combinations like suffixes -dos and -unix. Nothing helped me however.

Dňa 24. 8. 2015 o 21:10 Lukas Loehrer napísal(a):
Hi Lubos

I am using Emacspeak with the outloud speech-server and I use its
German voice to read German text. German words with non-ascii
characters like "Löhrer" are pronounced correctly. So what you are
trying to achieve should be possible.

Have you tried setting dtk-unicode-process-utf8 to nil? This should
disable all processing by the dtk-unicode module. Ultimately, this may
not be what you want, but it can serve as a first step to test where
your problems originate.

The correct char-set names for latin-2 are latin-iso8559-2 or
iso-8859-2. I think the former contains only the non-ascii part of
latin-2, but I am not sure about this.

About dtk-unicode-untouched-charsets, this mechanism is a bit of a
hack. It is used to generate a regex to quickly find the characters
that probably need replacing. Please post some text, where emacspeak
replaces your non-ascii characters where it should not. I will try to
find a suitable value for dtk-unicode-untouched-charsets.

Best regards, Lukas

Lubos Pintes writes ("Re: Emacspeak and unicode"):
Hello,
Sorry but I still don't understand how all this works.
The doc says:
Variable: User Option dtk-unicode-untouched-charsets
*Characters of these charsets are completely ignored by
dtk-unicode-replace-chars.

So I tried to add cp1250, cp852, but nothing happened. But for some like
iso-latin-2, when I applied the change, Emacspeak reported "wrong type
argument charsetp xxx".

I red whole chapter about internationalization. I understand that Emacs
has its own internal encoding, which is a superset of Unicode. And it
understands various other encoding for input and output.
But how is this related with dtk-unicode? And if Emacs has its own
internal encoding, when and how are charsets used, except for example
when a file is loaded?
Perhaps this has something to do with server process and what Emacspeak
does before it sends the text to process...
To state it in four words, "I am totally confused." :)

Dňa 20. 8. 2015 o 17:31 raman napísal(a):
that has been posted to gmane.emacs.emacspeak.general as well.

Neither -- ie Emacspeak is not "American centric " by design, but its
default settings are definitely set up for English as the default.

For how Unicode is handled, see module dtk-unicode.el -- start first by
reading its documentation at
http://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/dtk_002dunicode.html#dtk_002dunicode

At a high-level you want to customize option
dtk-unicode-untouched-charsets to include character sets that your TTS
engine handles on its own --  so  for instance, if you have a Japanese
TTS engine, you add the relevant character sets that you use routinely
to that customization option.