W3 4.0 beta 23 and HTML tables

from memory, there was a problem with the tables.html file
in the distribution.
I'll attach it below.

Also, the table processing addon still has many problems to
resolve and breaks on most of the hairy tables on the WWW
--though at least in my environment it appears to work on
simple tables--

There is a lot of work to be done there, and neither Bill
Perry or I are able to do justice to it in our vanishingly
small spare time.
To get this correct, we'll basically need about three weeks
full time at it.

P.S. Note: I am still running 4.0.21 of w3 dont remember why
I didn't upgrade to .23.

<!--$Id: emacs-startup.el,v 1.55 1997/08/29 19:00:50 raman Exp $ -->
  <head>
<LINK REV=MADE HREF="mailto:raman@xxxxxxxxxxx">
<title>Tables</title>
</head>

<h1>Tables</h1>

<TABLE>
<TR>
<TD>
Item
</TD>
<TD>
Date
</TD>
<TD>
Amount
</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>
this is to test a table cell that possibly spans more than
one line. We need Emacspeak to work well with this kind of content.
</TD>
<TD>
January 1, 1997
</TD>
<TD>
10.00
</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>
Dinner
</TD>
<TD>
January 2, 1997
</TD>
<TD>
20.00
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

<hr>
<address><A href="mailto:raman@xxxxxxxxxxx">Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx</a></address>
<!-- hhmts start -->
Last modified: Sun Nov 30 15:37:18 1997
<!-- hhmts end -->
Jason White writes:
 > This is probably another elementary question, but my search for
 > information has so far not met with much success.
 >
 > There is a feature of Emacspeak 8.0 which facilitates the reading of HTML
 > tables. I have downloaded the sample table that T.V. Raman distributed via
 > this list soon after the 8.0 release. Neither this table, nor other tables
 > that I have tried, have been read correctly; Emacspeak 8.0 with W3 4.0
 > beta 23 always reads straight across each line irrespective of tabular
 > layout. I have also tried the c-e tab command which is supposed to permit
 > browsing of the table contained in a marked region. This does not work in
 > W3 mode.
 >
 > Where am I making the mistake?
 >
 > Also, does Emacspeak support the HEADERS, AXIS and SCOPE attributes that
 > were added, to support speech output, in HTML 4.0?

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-612)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html    (Cornell)