Linux for visually imaired with only a sound card

My wife and I are having a visitor at our house for a couple of week who
is blind. We have a Linux system with a sound card and would like our
friend to be able to use it to the greatest exetent possible. I have
downloaded emacspeak, but it does not appear to have support for a
regular sound card. I wanted to know if there is a special driver that
could make emacspeak work on my system, or if there are any other
options.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com