voice-lock-set-personality

I'm plowing ahead to figure out for myself how to change voices in this dialog.

It looks like voice-lock-set-personality is exactly what I want. It takes
the beginning and end of a region and a personality. But when I try this it
has no effect. I made a minimal little function to call it like:

(defun try-voice()
   "fool with voice locking"
   (interactive)
     (let ((here (point)))
       (forward-paragraph)
       (voice-lock-set-personality here (point) 'paul-monotone)))

I run this and it moves the point and doesn't produce any errors, but it
doesn't change the voice for that section of text either. I'm missing
something basic here.

thanks
gb