emacspeak-speak-line-set-column-filter and shell buffers

hi,

I've been using the emacspeak-speak-line-set-column-filter function
for a while to read logs etc.  It's great for cutting out the date at
the beginning of log lines and things like that.  There is, however
one thing i have been unable to figure out how to do.

I'd like to be able to set this filter to work, say on a shell buffer
that is tailing a file so that the filter was applied when the output
appeared.  I remember something about an output hook that could be
applied to the shell buffer, but can't find it or how to apply a
filter to it.

can anyone give me some pointers where to look or suggestions how to
implement this in lisp?

Bart