Newbie please help

I am trying to get familiar with emacs speak so I can install it for a
friend. Please Help as I'm not having much luck.

I am running red hat 6.2 and the sound card is enabled.  I choose to used
red packages in a hope the automation would look after me.  I installed the
following packages:
I installed ViaVoice-Outload-rtk-5.1-1.0.i386.rpm and
emacspeak-12.0-1.noarch.rpm

To start emacspeek I use the terminal in gnome.  No sound is generated.
Have I installed the write packages?  I figure the problem lies with the
sound engine but dont know where to begin.  Any general suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Peter