Re: Another Newbie with questions

Are you using the GNU version of the make utility? The error message
appears to indicate that make was having difficulty interpreting the
wildcards used in the makefile, which have been specified according to a
convention which I know GNU make supports (I am not sure whether it also
works with other versions).

Try downloading GNU make from ftp.gnu.org, installing it (for example in
/usr/local/bin), setting the PATH environment variable so that GNU make
will be run in preference to the existing version, and then compiling
Emacspeak.