Auditory icons

As root, I can turn auditory icons on and off just fine.
As another user, I cannot, unless root is logged in.
Root doesn't need to have turned on auditory icons, he just has to be lgoged in.

That is a trivial problem.  However, I am
also unable, as root or any user, to turn on
any but the default (default-8k) set of icons.
When I use c-e), am prompted for a choice of them,
I enter "chimes-mono," it seems to be accepted.
However, I then have no auditory icons at all.

What am I missing?
Thanks.

Larry