Help with capitalization

Dear List Members:

I have recently installed Emacspeak12 on my home computer which runs Linux Redhat6.2.  I am using Emacspeak in connection with ViaVoice.  I have two questions:
1. How do we know whether we are looking at a capital letter or a small letter?
2. How can we set the rate of speech globally?

Please answer my first question as early as possible since it is the one that is preventing me from editing modifying the Java files related to my work.  The second question is not as important as the first one because I know how to set it locally.  Please help me out.

Regards,

Ramana