Word Processing Capabilities?

Hello, Listers,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good word processor program that runs
in linux that does not require X-win. The ones I have found (WordPerfect
for Linux) and the others like KOffice and some of the others that come as
distributions and contributions on the SlackWare 7.1 cd's all look like
they require X-Windows.

I want good cutting and pasting, blocking copying and block deletes and
block moving of data. I especially cannot figure out how to turn on the
word-wrap feature in any of these editors like pico, elvis, vi, joe, etc.

I just can't stand seeing those $ (dollar) signs at the ends of my lines
and having lines that go on for 500 characters with $ signs ever 80
characters.

I do know that pico has a justify command, and I appologize if this is off
topic. But, a good text-based word processor similar to what we were all
used to in the old WP 5.1/6.0 days would be great in Linux. Even menus
would be helpful, since, I can't always remember all those keystrokes to
do all this magic.

Basically, I want to know that if I type a document into a linux editor
that I can print and not have my characters fall off the edge of the
paper. But, these editors seem to lack any sort of formatting commands as
though they were all designed for writing computer programs in C language.

--
Bill Gaughan
wgaughan@xxxxxxxxxxx