Re: Patch: Allow Emacspeak to work with 8-bit characters

Milan Zamazal <pdm@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>     TVR> I've checked in updated emacspeak.el and dtk-tcl.el that define
>     TVR> option emacspeak-unibyte
>
> Thanks.
>
>     TVR> --by default this is set to t.  To run emacspeak under
>     TVR> multibyte emacs, set this variable to nil before you start
>     TVR> emacspeak --i.e. in your .emacs.
>
> Janusz is right that setting the variable according to the setting of
> English language environment is not correct.  But setting it to t still
> doesn't look well to me, I think the following default value might be
> better:
>
>   (not default-keyboard-coding-system)
>
> This way it should be set to t iff a user prefers (either directly or
> implicitly via his language environment) other encoding than ASCII.

Are you sure this will work as intended? I just had a quick look at
`set-language-environment' in Emacs 21 and it does not change
`default-keyboard-coding-system'. It does not even change
`keyboard-coding-system'.

To be on the safe side, `t' as the default value of
`emacspeak-unibyte' seems the best solution. We can assume that users
of Emacspeak are familiar with .emacs file, so they will have no
problem to change the value if needed.

>     TVR> I've not added the quail related patches because they spread
>     TVR> quail dependencies in a lot of places in the emacspeak-advice
>     TVR> module--
>
> The quail related thing is not dependent on quail, it works even when
> quail is not present.  It handles the following problem: When one uses a
> quail based keyboard, Emacspeak reads not only the character that
> actually appears in the buffer, but also the English keyboard characters
> generating it, which is very annoying.  Again, I think you can apply the
> patch without affecting quail non-users in any way while helping quail
> users.  Could you please apply it?

I see a possible comprise by making the quail code conditional,
depending on the value of `emacspeak-unibyte'. It will make Raman sure
that the patch does not spoil anything for the present users of
Emacspeak.

By the way, I've just realized that input methods are possibly
relevant also for English language users. The English language
environment provided an input method for Dvorak keyboard layout.
Perhaps there is somebody willing to test it?

Best regards

Janusz

                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW
Prof. Janusz S. Bien, Warsaw Uniwersity
Na tym koncie czytam i wysylam poczte i wiadomosci offline -
prosze nie oczekiwac szybkiej odpowiedzi!