From: <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Patrick Gordon" <pcgordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 2:58 AM
Subject: Re: Incomplete Sentences

> This sound to me like you may need to increase the interrupt priority
> of your sound card so that it becomes more responsive. There is a
> program called irqtune which will allow you to do this - search for it
> with google.
>
> Also, make sure your running the latest viavoice (I think its 5.1). The
> earlier versions had some problems which resulted in the synthesizer
> dying after when trying to speak long chunks of text.
>
> How fast is your system and how much memory does it have. ViaVoice
> certainly seems to work better once you have 128 Mb of ram or
> more. I've also found it works better with better quality sound
> cards. Also, speeding u the speech may help (if you can understand it)
> as the buffers get flushed more quickly and are less likely to get
> filled. For ViaVoice, I've also found the faster the system the
> better. On an older 128Mhz system, I found sotwre synth was just way
> too slow.
>
> Tim
> Patrick Gordon writes:
> > I've install Emacs 15.0 and I am running the ViaVoice server. I can't
get emacspeak to speak more than a few words in a sentence before slowing to
an incoherent crawl. For example, in the sentence: "The quick brown fox
jumps over the lazy dog", it speaks just the first three words normally and
then I can hear only brief snippets of each remaining word as it continues
very slowly through the rest of the line. This sounds like a buffer size
problem. Is there a way to increase the size of the buffers? Or is there
another way to fix this?

> > Regards, Patrick Gordon
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> > <HTML><HEAD>
> > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR>
> > <STYLE></STYLE>
> > </HEAD>
> > <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've install Emacs 15.0 and I am running
the
> > ViaVoice server.&nbsp;I can't get emacspeak&nbsp;to speak more than a
few words
> > in a sentence before slowing to an incoherent crawl. For example, in the
> > sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", it speaks just
the
> > first three words normally and then I can hear only brief snippets of
each
> > remaining word as it continues very slowly&nbsp;through the rest of the
line.
> > This sounds like a buffer size problem. Is there a way to increase the
size of
> > the buffers? Or is there another way to fix this?</FONT></DIV>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Regards, Patrick
Gordon</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>