Re: Incomplete Sentences

Patrick Gordon writes:

Check all the readme files for irqtune. The commands you are entering
seem way to complicated for what needs to be done to me. You can try
the following -

cd /usr/local/irqtune/
less Makefile (when I did this on an old install, there was plenty of
instructions on what to do)
less README (more instructions and details on how it all works).

Its important to read the docs - Linux is not like windows where you
can just run things 'out of the box'. You need to read the readme
files and look inside things like Makefiles. Its not that Linux is not
user friendly, its just picky about who its friendly with!

Good luck.

P.S. Some tips, if your installing a pre-built version, you can
probably just cd to /usr/local/irqtune and type "make install". If you
need to build from source, you will need to type "make warp9" to
rebuild from source and install. However, verify this as the
installation I have here is very old and I don't know how recently the
package has been updated and therefore cannot tell what may have
changed. There may also be some risks associated with doing this, so
make sure you read the documentation.

> (cd /usr/local/irqtune/sbin ; make -f /usr/local/irqtune/src/Makefile
> CDEBUG='' CFLAGS_EXTRA='' IRQTUNE_HOME=/usr/local/irqtune
> IRQTUNE_VERSION=0.6 INSTALL=simple INSTALLER=/usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune
> SBIN=/sbin install)
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/irqtune/sbin'
> /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune -i simple /sbin /usr/local/irqtune
> make[1]: /usr/local/irqtune/sbin/irqtune: Command not found
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 127
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/irqtune/sbin'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> This may not be the most appropriate place for me to ask for help on shell
> commands.  But again, I have only just arrived off the Microsoft farm, know
> nothing of Linux, and I am here just to make emacspeak functional on my
> machine. Others on this newsgroup may have been through this already and may
> be able to help.. Any help in figuring out the above error in the irqtune
> compile, load, and link process would be very much appreciated.
>
> - Patrick

Tim Cross
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +61 2 6772 5973