[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: problem installing viavoice




Not 100% sure why you get all the emacs versions - probably a
dependency thing with Debian - keep in mind that Debian woody is still
a 'testing' version and probably does not replace existing emacs
packages which are part of 'potato'. I believe you can remove the
emacs19, emacs20 etc - though its probably a bit of a hassle. I have
so much disk space on my system at work, I've been lazy and have not
bothered about it. 

With respect to ViaVoice - I believe Raman posted something about no
longer needing the ViaVoice SDK to install emacspeak 15. - I assume it
must now come with a compiled version of the shared library needed to
run ViaVoice. I had already installed emacspeak 14 before and so had
the SDK already on the system, so I cannot confirm any of this. 

I guess give it a go and see!

Tim
Saqib Shaikh writes:
> Just wondering - you say you have Emacs21 and Emacspeak on Debian.  I have
> the problem that when I do apt-get install emacs21 emacspeak vm gnus
> I end up with all of Emacs19, 20 and 21 with different packages using a
> different version. Anyone got any ideas why?
> 
> Also, am I correct in thinking that you no longer need the Viavoice SDK for
> running Emacspeak?
> 
> Saqib
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <tcross@northnet.com.au>
> To: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak@chartermi.net>
> Cc: "Emacspeak" <emacspeak@cs.vassar.edu>
> Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:33 AM
> Subject: Re: problem installing viavoice
> 
> 
> >
> > I had some problems installing viaVoice on a debian 'woody'
> > system. From memory, the problem was because the
> > /usr/lib/ViaVoiceTTS/eci.ini file was missing and the ECIINI
> > environment variable was not set. I think these are normally handled
> > by rpm post-install scripts (I used aliean to convert the rpm to a deb
> > package). I also think I had to install some older libstdc++ libraries
> > (but I may have done this before I realised the eci.ini file was
> > missing. Sorry I can't be more specific, it was a while ago. However,
> > I can say I've been running emacspeak, emacs21 and ViaVoice on a
> > debian woddy system for some time now - so its certainly can be done.
> >
> > I would check which libraries I have installed, but I'm on my home
> > system which is still redhat 6.2
> >
> > Tim
> > Cheryl Homiak writes:
> > > I am running debian woody, trying to install viavoice as an experiment
> on
> > > my machine because I may be putting it on somebody else's.
> > > Downloaded and instlled both the sdk and the rtk.
> > > Tried to run a test with ./runcmdlinespeak from the
> > > /usr/lib/viavoicetts/samples/cmdlinespeak directory.
> > > Got the following, even though I know my libraries are up-to-date (maybe
> > > this is an old library?):
> > > error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++--libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot
> > > open shared object file: no such file or directory
> > > Has anybody seen this and, if so, what do I need to do about it?
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheryl
> > >
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---
> > > To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
> > > emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a
> > > subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"
> >
> > --
> > Tim Cross
> > mailto: tcross@northnet.com.au
> > phone: +61 2 6772 5973
> > mobile: 0412 969193
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ---
> > To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
> > emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a
> > subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"

-- 
Tim Cross
mailto: tcross@northnet.com.au
phone: +61 2 6772 5973
mobile: 0412 969193
------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a
subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"