Re: debian emacspeak 15 package

Dmitry -

I maintain the Debian emacspeak package, and was sorry to hear you had
trouble with it.  If there is a bug in the package, I would like to
fix it before the next Debian release.

I have emacs20 version 20.7-2 and emacspeak version 15-2 installed on
my test machine.  Using C-h v, emacs reports:

  emacspeak-directory's value is
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/"

That is, emacspeak-directory points to where the source files are
installed, not to /usr/share/emacs20/site-lisp/emacspeak where the
compiled files are installed.

Other directory variables are similar:

  emacspeak-etc-directory's value is
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/etc/"

I get no complaint like "Theme
/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/sounds/default-8k/ is missing its
configuration file." when emacspeak starts.

So, what is the significant difference between our installations?

My ~/.emacs file does not mention emacspeak.

What does your load-path look like?  I've appended my load-path
(manually wrapped to one directory per line).  Note that the source
directory is near the beginning, while
/usr/share/emacs20/site-lisp/emacspeak where the compiled files are
install is near the end.  The latter entry is added by the sitewide
startup file /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacspeak.el.

Do you have the same symptoms with emacs20 as with emacs21?

I am open to suggestions.

	    - Jim Van Zandt

  ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/"
  "/usr/share/emacs20/site-lisp/tm"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mgp/"
  "/usr/share/emacs20/site-lisp/mailcrypt"
  "/etc/emacs20"
  "/etc/emacs"
  "/usr/local/share/emacs/20.7/site-lisp"
  "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/site-lisp"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mailcrypt"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/mgp"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/octave"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tm"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3-el"
  "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tm/support"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/leim"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/textmodes"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/progmodes"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/mail"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/language"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/international"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/gnus"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/emulation"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/emacs-lisp"
  "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/calendar"
  "/usr/share/emacs20/site-lisp/emacspeak"
  "/usr/share/emacs20/site-lisp/octave")