Re: will this pc run emaspeak

The two most important things to check would be the sound card
compatibility and make sure your modem is not one of those
'winmodems'. As you are expecting to install Mandrake, check the
mandrake web site for a hardware compatibility list. If there isn't
one there, then go to the redhat web site and check there hardware
compatibility list (the mandrake distribution is based on redhat).

Probably your biggest issue will be the sound card if you plan to use
a software voice synthesizer like viavoice. A sound card which can
handle multiple input channels is very handy, but you need to make
sure linux supports the soundcard. Personally, I favor the
soundblaster live card as it has good support under linux and I've
found it works really well.

Linux does not support "windmodems" very well - part of the problem
with modems of this type is that they really on the operating system
to provide some of the processing other modems handle in
hardware. This is partially why they are cheaper - avoid
them. Personally, I still prefer external modems, but they do have the
downside of extra cabling etc. However, I find it easier to diagnose
problems with external modems than internal ones. Having said that,
internal modems are quite good once they are configured and running
well.

All the rest of your specifications seem fine, but you should double
check with one of the hardware compatibilty lists mentioned above.

Tim

Tim Cross					E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Analyst/Programmer                               Phone: 6773 3210
Applications Group			        Mobile: 0412 969193
University of New England
---
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;