Re: DAISY reader et al

At Wed, 15 May 2002 08:58:23 -0400,
Ann Parsons wrote:

> I have tried, for example, to read txt files using emacspeak.  It
> works OK, but I have not figured out how to implement the bookmark
> feature yet.  I am, as I said, looking for *something* in Linux that
> would have the ease and the strengths of Readit.  If you are unwilling
> to write code for a DAISY reader, would you perhaps be interested in
> writing a text reader whose purpose would be merely to read text files
> in a consistent manner, have easily implemented bookmarks, would
> return to the latest one automatically, and would possibly have cut
> and paste features as well?
>
> If not, could you suggest ways I might do this in emacs?

Ok, I'm not Raman, but let's see if I can tackle this. The bookmark
features are pretty well explained in the info manual.

Just hit ctrl-x rm when you're in a buffer and it'll set a bookmark in
that file. Hit ctrl-x rb and it'll ask you which bookmark you want to
jump to. You'll be in the usual completion buffer. If you just hit enter
when you set the bookmark, the bookmark'll be called whatever the
filename was, so enter the filename where you put the bookmark, and bam,
you're where you stopped reading.

The thing that
*might* be tripping you up, and I'm not sure if it is, is you can't set
 a bookmark in a text file that's inside a zip file. I don't know if
 this applies to tar or any other archive format, but that's one thing
 readit does that emacs can't do.

Cut and paste is farely easy, the same region commands that you always
use in emacs. There's a lot of stuff there, insert cut/coppied text into
files, insert it into buffers that kind of thing, so no problem there.

As for continuous read, if you're using outloud, you're out of luck, I'm
afraid. No, correction. You can read continuously with ctrl-e n but you
*can't* stop reading and e at the text where you stopped. You've got to
 remember what the last sentence you were reading was, and instantly
 search for that bit of text before you forget it. <grin>. You can't use
 pause with outloud, though, which would allow you to pause the text and
 then resume where you left off reading, which to my mind is a shame.

The whole thing with not being able to stop continuous read and be in
the text that was just read's been tackled a bunch of times before, from
memory. If I remember rightly, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I
don't, it has to do with buffering, and it being very difficult to
actually  * know* what text's being read and move to it.

I hope this is at least some help.
Yvonne.