Re: Error in user manual.

The other "app"was probably esd.

Cards like the Soundblaster Live can mix up to 32 channels of audio on
the card,
and consequently allow multiple processes on Linux to open /dev/dsp
--to each app it looks like it has the sound card,
and the card does the mixing.
Cards like the soundblaster 64 cannot do this --as is the case with
cards on most laptops.

Packages like ESD or arts (part of KDE) run a sound server that keeps
the device open and provide sound access to all the apps that want it
--so the mixing happens on the host --rather than on the card.>>>>> "Janina" == Janina Sajka <janina@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    Janina> There's also more to this which I frankly don't fully
    Janina> understand.  For example, I have a portable machine with a
    Janina> Pentium III which plays multiple wav files just fine in
    Janina> Windows, but not in my Linux installation. At least not
    Janina> until I installed Jack:

    Janina> http://jackit.sourceforge.net/

    Janina> This is software to allow multiple, simoultaneous
    Janina> sound. There's at least one other app like Jack that I've
    Janina> come across, but I don't recall what/where.

    Janina> Thomas Ward writes:
    >> From: "Thomas Ward" <slingshooter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    >>
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I would like to point out a glaring error in Jennifer's user
    >> manual which needs correcting.
    >>
    >> Jennifer writes: "If you want to use auditory icons and
    >> ViaVoice is your speech synthesizer, check to see whether or
    >> not you have a multi-channel sound card (try playing a CD and a
    >> .au file at the same time - if it works, you have a
    >> multi-channel card). If your card is not multi-channel, you
    >> must install the application."
    >>
    >> First, multichannel only works on the pcm channel which runs
    >> wave files, mp3 files, real audio, and of course viavoice. The
    >> CDA channel which the audio cd's play on have always been
    >> independant channels from the pcm channel. of course, that
    >> means that all sound cards will play audio and pcm channels at
    >> the same time. Which means the only way to correctly test for
    >> multichannel is to play more than one wave files at the same
    >> time or play wave files with viavoice going, etc.  Also note
    >> some cards are multichannel, but some Linux drivers don't
    >> support the multichannel ability of the card.
    >>
    >> Hth.

    Janina> --

    Janina> 				Janina Sajka, Director
    Janina> Technology Research and Development Governmental Relations
    Janina> Group American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

    Janina> Email: janina@xxxxxxxxxxx Phone: (202) 408-8175

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
AIM: TVRaman
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc