software dectalk 1.0

While I'm possibly talking rubbish here because I don't hae the
dectalk software synth etc - I was just wondering if it could be
differences in C libraries or gcc versions causing the problems.

The only reason I suggest it is I know that Debian is even more
conservative than RedHat when it comes to upgrading gcc and c
libraries etc. Could this be a factor worth considering?

I really hope we can sort this out, as it would be great to have a
commercial software speech synth available for Linux - especially if
its only $50US - which I think is a very reasonable price.

Tim

    Bart> Raman,

    Bart> Yeh I entered the magic number and the say program runs
    Bart> correctly.  It doesn't if you change the magic in
    Bart> dectalk.conf, thus proving it checks the license.

    Bart> Is it possible that given you used the SDK to compile the
    Bart> .so that there is some license check that is different for
    Bart> the SDK than the RTK?

    Bart> I am running tcl 8.3 also.  However i don't have a
    Bart> libtcl.so.0 I have a libtcl.so but a libtcl8.3 which i
    Bart> symlinked to it.

    Bart> I've also tried installing the redhat rpms for tcl and tclx.

    Bart> with no result.

    Bart> In the say program the thread opens dectalk.conf, and reads
    Bart> it three times, in the dtk-soft strace it opens it once and
    Bart> then hangs....  Possibly waiting for a lock???

    Bart> Bart

    Bart> T. V. Raman writes:
    >>  Based on what you said earlier I'd suspect the license install
    >> -- did you do the needful to install their license?  They gave
    >> me some magic number to type at the installer I assume that is
    >> what you got when you bought the thing.
    >>
    >> Name : tcl Relocations: (not relocateable) Version : 8.3.3
    >> Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.  Release : 67 Build Date: Thu 28 Feb 2002
    >> 01:17:02 PM PST Install date: Fri 12 Jul 2002 11:11:33 AM PDT
    >> Build Host: daffy.perf.redhat.com Group : Development/Languages
    >> Source RPM: tcltk-8.3.3-67.src.rpm Size : 3084431 License: BSD
    >> Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
    >> scripting language.  Description : Tcl is a simple scripting
    >> language designed to be embedded in other applications. Tcl is
    >> designed to be used with Tk, a widget set, which is provided in
    >> the tk package. This package also includes tclsh, a simple
    >> example of a Tcl application.
    >>
    >> If you install the tcl package and you want to use Tcl for
    >> development, you should also install the tk and tclx packages.
    >>
    Bart> Raman, It's a debian system.  what version of tcl do you
    Bart> have installed?
    >>
    Bart> Bart

    >> are >> you trying it on?  >>>>> "Bart" == Bart Bunting >>
    >> <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Hi all,

 I've downloaded and tried to use the
    Bart> software dectalk package Raman
 provided.

 It hangs
    Bart> when starting just after printing:
 Calling tts startup.

 I'm still looking into it but there isn't anything
    Bart> obvious.  one
 interesting thing is that if you use the say
    Bart> program provided with the
 dectalk rtk it reads
    Bart> /etc/dectalk.conf three times where the dtk-soft
 only
    Bart> reads it once.  Could there be some strange licensing
    Bart> problem?

 Bart

^^ݳI_jfrzYyۖYo0,+en&{MTZ0,+en&{

Tim Cross					E-Mail: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
Analyst/Programmer                               Phone: 6773 3210
Applications Group			        Mobile: 0412 969193
University of New England
---
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;