Re: software dectalk 1.0

Bart, what you described is the same thing that is happening here.

I'm also running tcl8.3, glibc 2.3.1 and gcc 2.95.4

If I strace tcl dtk-soft, it stops at a rt_sigsuspend call like this:
rt_sigsuspend([] <unfinished ...>
--- SIGRTMIN (Unknown signal 32) ---
<... rt_sigsuspend resumed> )           = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system call)
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [RTMIN])
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, NULL, [RTMIN], 8) = 0
rt_sigsuspend([]

the `say' binary works as expected, license code was entered correctly,
and a small talking hello-world program in C links and works as
expected.  So the .so files seem to be fine.  Could it be that the
tcl interpreter and the way dtk creates alot of threads collide with
each other?

#include <stdio.h>

typedef void * LPTTS_HANDLE_T;
typedef long DWORD;

int main() {
  int status;
  LPTTS_HANDLE_T dtkHandle;
  unsigned int  devNo = 0;
  DWORD devOptions = 0;
  DWORD dwFlags = 0;
  DWORD force = 1;
  devOptions |= 1;
  /*  devOptions |= WAVE_OPEN_SHAREABLE;*/
  fprintf(stderr, "Calling tts startup.\n");
  status = TextToSpeechStartup(&dtkHandle, devNo, devOptions, NULL, NULL);
  fprintf(stderr, "tts startup returned %d\n", status);
  if (dtkHandle == NULL) {
    fprintf(stderr, "Could not open text-to-speech engine\n");
    return 1;
  }
  if (TextToSpeechSpeak(dtkHandle,"Hello World!", dwFlags) != 0) {
    fprintf(stderr,"Internal tts error\n");
    return 2;
  }
  if (TextToSpeechSpeak(dtkHandle,"", force) != 0) {
    fprintf(stderr,"Sync failed\n");
    return 3;
  }
  getchar();
  if (TextToSpeechShutdown(dtkHandle) != 0)
    fprintf(stderr,"TextToSpeechShutdown failed.\n");
  fprintf(stderr,"All done\n");
}

Bart Bunting <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Raman,
>
> Yeh I entered the magic number and the say program runs correctly.  It
> doesn't if you change the magic in dectalk.conf, thus proving it
> checks the license.
>
> Is it possible that given you used the SDK to compile the .so that
> there is some license check that is different for the SDK than the
> RTK?
>
> I am running tcl 8.3 also.  However i don't have a libtcl.so.0 I have
> a libtcl.so but a libtcl8.3 which i symlinked to it.
>
> I've also tried installing the redhat rpms for tcl and tclx.
>
> with no result.
>
> In the say program the thread opens dectalk.conf, and reads it three
> times, in the dtk-soft strace it opens it once and then hangs....
> Possibly waiting for a lock???
>
> Bart
>
> T. V. Raman writes:
>  >
>  > Based on what you said earlier I'd suspect the license install --
>  > did you do the needful to install their license?
>  > They gave me some magic number to type at the installer I assume that
>  > is what you got when you bought the thing.
>  >
>  > Name        : tcl                          Relocations: (not relocateable)
>  > Version     : 8.3.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
>  > Release     : 67                            Build Date: Thu 28 Feb 2002 01:17:02 PM PST
>  > Install date: Fri 12 Jul 2002 11:11:33 AM PDT      Build Host: daffy.perf.redhat.com
>  > Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM: tcltk-8.3.3-67.src.rpm
>  > Size        : 3084431                          License: BSD
>  > Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
>  > URL         : http://tcl.activestate.com/
>  > Summary     : An embeddable scripting language.
>  > Description :
>  > Tcl is a simple scripting language designed to be embedded in other
>  > applications. Tcl is designed to be used with Tk, a widget set, which
>  > is provided in the tk package. This package also includes tclsh, a
>  > simple example of a Tcl application.
>  >
>  > If you install the tcl package and you want to use Tcl for
>  > development, you should also install the tk and tclx packages.
>  > >>>>> "Bart" == Bart Bunting <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>  >
>  >     Bart> Raman, It's a debian system.  what version of tcl do you
>  >     Bart> have installed?
>  >
>  >     Bart> Bart
>  >
>  >     Bart> T. V. Raman writes:
>  >     >>  I compiled and ran mine on an RH 7.3 system --what version are
>  >     >> you trying it on?  >>>>> "Bart" == Bart Bunting
>  >     >> <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>  >     >>
>  >     Bart>
 Hi all,

 I've downloaded and tried to use the
>  >     Bart> software dectalk package Raman
 provided.

 It hangs
>  >     Bart> when starting just after printing:
 Calling tts startup.
>  >     Bart>

 I'm still looking into it but there isn't anything
>  >     Bart> obvious.  one
 interesting thing is that if you use the say
>  >     Bart> program provided with the
 dectalk rtk it reads
>  >     Bart> /etc/dectalk.conf three times where the dtk-soft
 only
>  >     Bart> reads it once.  Could there be some strange licensing
>  >     Bart> problem?

 Bart

>  >     Bart> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >     Bart> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
>  >     Bart> address on the
 emacspeak list send mail to
>  >     Bart> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a
 subject of
>  >     Bart> "unsubscribe" or "help"
>  >     Bart>
ÿð^²Ô^ªÝ³ÿÿ­©šœIšŠ_ëjf§ýËÿrçzYÿyۖYoá¶Úÿÿü0Ã÷,ýÊ+éeýçnþ&{úÚÿ >     >>

--
CYa,
  Mario