Re: Software DEC Talk

Janina Sajka <janina@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I now have the DEC Talk software synth working with Emacspeak 17 and ALSA over Red Hat 8.0. On the other hand, I cannot get it working properly over OSS on my
> installation of Phoebe. It chatters, but sounds like Mickey Mouse. I have the same problem with Festival which ALSA also resolves.
This usually indicates that your soundcard does not support arbitrary sampling
rates like 16khz.  Those cards usually choose the nearest available
value, which is either 11khz or 22khz, and results in a completely wrong playback speed.

I have no idea why ALSA works though, maybe it does internal resampling to
correct those problems.

--
CYa,