emacspeak-18, emacs20.7 and puthash

On Saturday I grabbed the emacspeak-18 distrib from sorceforge and did
the familiar  make config ... then make emacspeak
to generate
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ray060/local/emacspeak/lisp'
emacs -batch -q -no-site-file  -l /home/ray060/local/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-load-path.el -l /home/ray060/local/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-loaddefs.el -l /home/ray060/local/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-cus-load.el  -f batch-byte-compile dtk-speak.el
While compiling toplevel forms in file /home/ray060/local/emacspeak/lisp/dtk-speak.el:
  !! Symbol's function definition is void ((puthash))

I notice puthash isn't  in the elisp manual I have (I *hope* the right
one for emacs20.7) but *is* there in later versions, has this been
folded back into elisp from the common-lisp support?

Is it time to upgrade emacs or did I forget something in the set-up?
thanks in advance
Peter