Re: software dectalk tones

ya just gotta love defadvice!

I think it has become my favorite feature of emacs - in the last week
alone I have used it twice to fix/change the behavior of a couple of
functions which were not working quite right or how I wanted them to.

Just putting a defadvice in the scratch buffer, evaluating and testing
and then adding to my .emacs took all of about 5 minutes to fix a
problem with url-expand-filename I was having with certain html
e-mails and vm. No chasing down the source of url-expand-filename,
modifying/testing and worrying about changes being lost with updates
or being incompatible etc. and if I don't want it, I can turn it off
or just remove it from my .emacs to get rid of it permanently. All of
this and I'm still running the same emacs session - no restarts or
interruptions.

The only downside to this and getting to know both emacs and common
lisp, which I've been working on for the last few months, is I now
find it incredibly frustrating and irritating having to work with
cumbersome languages like java, perl, plsql etc each day at work.

Lisp has spoilt me and now things will never be the same!

Tim

 T> Alternatively add the following to your .emacs: (defadvice
 T> dtk-tone (around silence-tones pre act comp) nil)>>>>> "Robert" ==
 T> Robert Murray <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Robert> Hi Indentation is fine, I already have it spoken.  It's the
 Robert> other tones, such as when deleting or reading the mode line.

 Robert> I think the easiest solution for now is to edit the dtk-soft
 Robert> script and make the tones do nothing.

 Robert> Thanks

 Robert> Rob

 Robert> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:13:35AM +1000, Tim Cross wrote:
 >>> There is an option within emacspeak to use spoken indent
 >>> indicator rather than tone. Use customize to set this. e.g.
 >>>
 >>> M-x customize-group <ret> emacspeak-speak <ret>
 >>>
 >>> then go to the emacspeak indentation method item and set it to
 >>> speak. Save the changes and you should be done.
 >>>
 >>> Tim >>>>> "Robert" == Robert Murray <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Robert> Hi I've noticed a rather annoying problem with the software
 Robert> dectalk.  There is a delay before it plays tones.  This is
 Robert> not an emacspeak problem, because it happens with the say
 Robert> command and the demo program as well.  Are other people
 Robert> experiencing this?

 Robert> Is there an easy way to turn off tones in emacspeak?  This
 Robert> problem makes things like reading the mode line and switching
 Robert> buffers very slow to respond.

 Robert> Apart from this problem, the software dectalk is working
 Robert> really well, and it's great not to have to carry the dectalk
 Robert> express arround with me.

 Robert> Cheers

 Robert> Rob

 Robert> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address
 Robert> on the emacspeak list send mail to
 Robert> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
 Robert> "unsubscribe" or "help"