Re: Flite Still No Good Here!

The memory upgrade was done to a desktop machine of mine.  On that
machine which is a p200 Cirix MMX processor now has 256 meg in it.
DECtalk always worked ok on that machine but I can never get flite
compiled on it - even after expanding the memory.

The DECtalk problems I have are on the laptop which is only 16 meg
*UNFORTUNATELY* and due to the age and proprietary nature of this
Hitachi modle laptop, I doubt I'll ever be able to improve it much.
It was a good deal when I bought it and Speakup runs good on it with
an external synth but  maybe this machine just ain't enough for
software speech?

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 04:28:59PM -0500, Greg Priest-Dorman wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> First off let me apologize if this has been suggested before, I may
> have missed some earlyer postst on this thread, but I have 2 questions
> that may help with the software dectalk problems you are having.
>
> First, have you tried it since you upgraded your memory?
>
> Second, have you tried it with power management off?  You say that the
> speech works if you are continualy working, but does not work when you
> go away and come back.  Sounds like a power management problem.  Could
> your power saving (suspend mode) be the problem?  Please disable power
> management and let us know what happens.
>
> FYI - I am running software dectalk on a Pent. 166 with only 128meg of
> memmory (debian testing, 2.4.22 kernel) and although I have to restart
> the dectalk once I am in emacspeak, after that initial kick it stays
> up for days even with playing of mpegs, oggs and streaming mp3
> (shoutcast) from within emacspeak.
>
> I was not able to get it working on a pent. 100 with 128 meg.  I could
> get the dectalk to work outside of emacspeak, but not inside.  As I
> had the 166, I stoped pursuing a solution on the pentium 100.
>
> Flite works on the 100, not on the 166 - go figure.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Greg
>

> --
>
>  Greg Priest-Dorman