debugging https access under emacs/w3

Somewhere in an upgrade of machine, emacs,  emacspeak or emacs/w3 I've
broken https access.
Just to confirm that it's me, can someone using emacs/w3 connect to
the following address:
https://dsm-mail.cea.fr

I can test that the quietssl script is working with the options that I
think emacs/w3 should be passing to it since I can open a connection
on the command-line.
The page opens ok in w3m but when I connect with emacs/w3 I get an
empty buffer.  I doubt it's just that page since a sample of other
pages is doing the same thing.  While I don't expet anyone to clean up
whatever mess I've made I *would* be curious to see what, for example,
the arguments to the ssl-gateway functions are.  Is there a trick to
get the call stack on demand for example?
Obviously it's time to read a bit more on debugging elisp.
cheers
Peter

--
Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay