running emacspeak + flite with alsa

Hi Bob and Lucas,

Thanks for the pointers.

I tried Lucas' script but that did not seem to work.

So I took my /usr/local/bin/emacspeak (the one I stole from Bob's info
article) and simply changed the   one line to read

export
DTK_PROGRAM=/home/kalyan/opt/flite_alsa/eflite_alsa-i386/eflite_alsa_wrapper

Things seem to be working fine; though the quality of the voice has
become slightly nasal!

Thanks very much.
Cheers.
Kalyan

Off -topic query  for Lucas &  anyone who can help:
PS  I am unable to configure smtpmail to send mail to gmail.com.

The problem is in the TLS protocol. I get the error message:

530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first .

I put this in a google search and there are lots of solutions out
there but for Windows based systems.

Could anyone help?