Re: Setting up the erc IRC client

Ok, I am replying to my own poast :).

Here are two pitfalls with erc I encountered:

On Debian, with emacs 21 and the erc package, the library erc-speak is
not loaded automatically. Thus, you may want to add something like

(add-hook'erc-mode-hook
 (lambda () (require 'erc-speak)))

The cecond point is with voice locking. The voice for erc-notice-face
is set to "inaudible" by default, which is probably to reduce noice,
but can be somewhat irritating if you are determining if things are at
all working.

M-x customize-variable RET emacspeak-erc-notice-personality RET

will let you change it to something audible.

Lukas