Re: converting buffer to mp3 or wav

OK if you want to do other things as you record a buffer here is
what you'd need to build:

0)   In the ViaVoice or equivalent TTS server, add an option to say
     "  all text synthesized through this instance should be written
     to a file -- either make that a start-up option, or better
     yet

1)   Start up a separate instance of the server process that has
     the "save to file" option turned on

2)   Make  tts-speaker-process buffer-local, and  then write a
     function that does:

     A) In a let binding, sets tts-speaker-process to the handle
     to the special TTS instance you cranked up -- and within
     that let binding, invoke emacspeak-speak-buffer or
     emacspeak-speak-region.

something you can turn on/off

    Robert> tvraman@xxxxxxxxxxx (TV Raman) writes:
    >> The easiest way to do this should be following (and no, I
    >> dont believe you've missed anything in the docs)
    Robert>
    Robert> Good.  I was pretty sure but it is always good to
    Robert> ask.
    Robert>
    >> A) ALSA can be set up to capture what is coming out of the
    >> playback channel.  B)So first create the necessary setup
    >> to do that -- probably using ALSA DMIX/SNOOP or better yet
    >> ASYM plugin.
    >>
    >> C) Set things up so you can issue a simple command to the
    >> shell that starts / stops capturing all alsa output to a
    >> specified file.
    >>
    >> C)Finally, create emacs bindings to invoke that command.
    Robert>
    Robert> This seems to say that the machine will be recording
    Robert> as it is playing back.  To me, this is not a workable
    Robert> solution.  There will be many files, and I would like
    Robert> to be able to use the computer in the meantime.
    Robert>
    Robert> Also, I looked at the alsa docs for the plugins and
    Robert> such, and they made my head swim.  I am installing
    Robert> festival and several voices to try to see if there
    Robert> are some which are as good as via voice.  I am not
    Robert> expecting much, but if they are better than the
    Robert> default festival voice, it will work.
    Robert>
    Robert> By the way, for those who are interested, for me, the
    Robert> only english voice in debian seemed to drop the
    Robert> ending "g" from words.  Also, using the festival
    Robert> included in the archive, testing I think, add on
    Robert> voices seemed to create errors.  I am installing the
    Robert> "newest"version directly from the home site which is
    Robert> about 2 years old.  This version seems to not have
    Robert> the same problems as the older one, from what I have
    Robert> read.
    Robert>
    Robert> If any of you are interested in how this goes, let me
    Robert> know.
    Robert>
    Robert> rdc
    Robert>
    Robert> -- Robert D. Crawford rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx
    Robert>
    Robert> Most Texans think Hanukkah is some sort of duck call.
    Robert> -- Richard Lewis

WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Google: tv+raman