Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak

krishnakant Mane writes ("Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak"):
> >     If you want to use festival, your best bet is currently to do it via
> >     speech-dispatcher in my opinion.
> >
> why?  will I not get speech output with emacspeak, espeakf and
> festival combination?
> > According to my notes, Festival works with `espeakf' and Festival

I now got espeakf working. My machine is probably too slow (Pentium 4
1.4GHz). I find espeakf almost unusable due to its very bad
responsiveness. For example, in an info buffer showing the GPL, if I
do "read all" and suddenly move the cursor, speech should stop
immediately and the line I move the cursor to should be spoken. This
happens with eflite, ViaVoice and multispeech. With festival however,
it seeps that the line it is currently reading is finished first
before speech is stopped and reading resumes at the cursor position.
Anyway, I really do not intend to bash espeakf, just wanted to
motivate why I believe speech dispatcher might offer a beter
experience.

My tests of speech dispatcher are mainly through the python bindings
and it seems very responsive that way. Another advantage of speech
dispatcher is that you get Alsa audio playback for free.

> actually I don't even know if there are good voices for festival or if

You should really check *that* first before trying to connect it to
emacspeak. You can try voices via the festival console.

Best regards, Lukas