Re: pulseaudio

I also meant to say that I suspect you will still have problems with orca
and emacspeak interaction even if you get a method for multiple sound
soruces to run together. The two seem to 'talk over each other'. I've
managed to get both working with emacspeak running on the console and orca
running under X. This seems to reduce the 'chatter' and makes things
usable, even if a bit inconvenient.

Also note that I've seen quite a bit of traffic on the speechd mailing list
regarding pulseaudio - they seem to have had a fair amount of problems with
it and it would seem its a bit of a pain to get working reliably - too many
version issues and getting all versions in a compatible config etc. Check
the speechd list archives for more info.

T. V. Raman writes:
 > Alsa dmix works --- believe in it.

 >     bart> Yes, but what pulseaudio does is mix sound streams.  So
 >     bart> theoretically I could have two applications speaking at
 >     bart> the same time.  Although alsa's dmix is meant to do
 >     bart> this as well.  In practice it has never worked for me,
 >     bart> it does with some applications and not others even
 >     bart> though they are all using alsa.  Regards
 >     bart>
 >     bart> Bart
 >     bart>
 >     bart> Janina Sajka writes:
 >     >> Unless I misunderstand it, it's not an either or
 >     >> situation. I don't believe pulseaudio provides drivers for
 >     >> audio hardware. Rather, it's for managing user and
 >     >> application access.
 >     >>
 >     >> The one use case on their site is about two people, a
 >     >> couple, logging in and out of the desktop without issues
 >     >> of audio access. Woefully insufficient, of course. We'''
 >     >> have to expand their thinking, I suspect.
 >     >>
 >     >> Janina
 >     >>
 >     >> bart@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:> Hi list,
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Does anyone know what would be involved in getting the
 >     >> outloud speech server to use pulseaudio instead of alsa
 >     >> directly?
 >     >> >
 >     >> > If this was done am I correct in assuming that emacspeak
 >     >> would be able to run along side orca if they are both
 >     >> using pulseaudio?
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Has anyone already thought about this?
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Regards
 >     >> >
 >     >> > Bart
 >     >> >
 >     >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 >     >> > To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     >> address on the > emacspeak list send mail to
 >     >> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a > subject of
 >     >> "unsubscribe" or "help"
 >     >>
 >     >> --
 >     >>
 >     >> Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.202.595.7777; sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxx
 >     >> Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC
 >     >> http://CapitalAccessibility.Com
 >     >>
 >     >> Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in
 >     >> the U.S. and Canada Learn more at
 >     >> http://ScreenlessPhone.Com
 >     >>
 >     >> Chair, Open Accessibility janina@xxxxxxxxxxx Linux Foundation
 >     >> http://a11y.org
 >     bart>
 >     bart> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
 >     bart> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
 >     bart> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
> [...]

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.