Re: pulseaudio

The reason they "talk over each other" is that orca does not shut
up when used with a self-voicing application. This had been one
of my first asks of all screenreader developers when those
efforts started with the work on ATK in early 2000 --- sadly it's
been mostly ignored.

You can tell orca to mostly shut up by creating an Emacs.py
script for orca that passes on all events. However orca *will*
speak when you type characters etc --- which makes the whole
thing completely unusable -- not just slightly.
At this point there is nothing that can be done from the
emacspeak side to alleviate this -- other than recommending that
if using both emacspeak and orca, then you either run emacspeak
at the console --- or you kill orca when you start emacspeak.

Note that running emacspeak at the console loses little, since
with Emacs 23 (CVS) you can now open a frame on the running emacs
from the X side --- launch emacsclient at a terminal under X, and
it'll open a frame on the emacs you started on the console.

    Tim> I also meant to say that I suspect you will still have
    Tim> problems with orca and emacspeak interaction even if you
    Tim> get a method for multiple sound soruces to run
    Tim> together. The two seem to 'talk over each other'. I've
    Tim> managed to get both working with emacspeak running on
    Tim> the console and orca running under X. This seems to
    Tim> reduce the 'chatter' and makes things usable, even if a
    Tim> bit inconvenient.
    Tim>
    Tim> Also note that I've seen quite a bit of traffic on the
    Tim> speechd mailing list regarding pulseaudio - they seem to
    Tim> have had a fair amount of problems with it and it would
    Tim> seem its a bit of a pain to get working reliably - too
    Tim> many version issues and getting all versions in a
    Tim> compatible config etc. Check the speechd list archives
    Tim> for more info.
    Tim>
    Tim>
    Tim>
    Tim>
    Tim> T. V. Raman writes:
    >> Alsa dmix works --- believe in it.

    bart> Yes, but what pulseaudio does is mix sound streams.  So
    bart> theoretically I could have two applications speaking at
    bart> the same time.  Although alsa's dmix is meant to do
    bart> this as well.  In practice it has never worked for me,
    bart> it does with some applications and not others even
    bart> though they are all using alsa.  Regards
    bart>
    bart> Bart
    bart>
    bart> Janina Sajka writes:
    >> situation. I don't believe pulseaudio provides drivers for
    >> application access.

    >> issues >> of audio access. Woefully insufficient, of
    >> course. We''' >> have to expand their thinking, I suspect.

    >> the >> outloud speech server to use pulseaudio instead of
    >> alsa >> directly?

    >> emacspeak >> would be able to run along side orca if they
    >> are both >> using pulseaudio?

    >> sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxx >> Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC

    >> in >> the U.S. and Canada Learn more at >>
    >> http://ScreenlessPhone.Com

    >> Foundation >> http://a11y.org
    bart>
    bart> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
    bart> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
    bart> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
    bart> "unsubscribe" or "help"