Re: pulseaudio

From the statement "Why orca chose to add one more layer with pulseaudio", it seems clear to me there may be an incorrect assumption of how Orca works with audio.

Orca doesn't deal with audio directly. There are no audio calls or configuration or anything related to audio in Orca. Instead, Orca relies upon the speech synthesis system provider to manage the audio. As such, the choice of audio system to use is up to the speech synthesis system provider (e.g., Outloud, DECtalk, eSpeak, Cepstral, festival, FreeTTS/Java, etc.).

If the speech synthesis system provider uses ALSA, it uses ALSA. If the speech synthesis system provider uses OSS, it uses OSS. If the speech synthesis system provider uses Pulse Audio, it uses Pulse Audio. Orca doesn't change this, and it doesn't even know or care.

Hope this helps,

Will

Janina Sajka wrote:
Will Walker may correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Orca does
anything with pulse audio. Rather, I think pulseaudio is being
introduced by distributions. Specifically, I know for a fact that
Fedora/Red Hat has moved to it in Fedora 8. In fact it's a bit of a
problem as implemented in F-8, because it isn't launched until a gui
login, and there's no audio access before that. And, after the login,
there's still no root level access to audio--ever. I'm suggesting people
remove it for now on F-8 installations.

Janina

T. V. Raman writes:
you dont need to even set up a .asoundrc on things like dapper
I  believe post alsa 1.10, dmix is configured by default
correctly. Why orca chose to add one more layer with pulseaudio
-- or why pulseaudio refuses to work with Alsa are all mysteries
I've not delved into -- but  I  do run orca and emacspeak on my
laptop on the rare occasions that I start orca -- and they do
both work happily with the emacspeak tts server.

"Tim" == Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
    Tim> It does work and it works quite well once you get the
    Tim> .asoundrc file sorted. This can be a bit tricky. For
    Tim> example, I found that the reason I couldn't get my
    Tim> soundcard to work was because it was a multi channel
    Tim> card and you had to use a specific device (in my case
    Tim> device 3) in order for the dmix plugin to work. Prior to
    Tim> working this out, I defined an 'emacspeak' device in my
    Tim> asoundrc file and then modified the sources to use that
    Tim> as the device rather than default. This had been the
    Tim> only way I could get outloud to work and still be able
    Tim> to play other sound sources.
Tim> Tim> What type of sound card do you have? Maybe someone else
    Tim> has a working .asoundrc file for that type of card?
Tim> Tim> Tim Tim> Tim> Tim> Tim> getting mixing to work that th epro T. V. Raman writes:
    >> Alsa dmix works --- believe in it.
    bart> Yes, but what pulseaudio does is mix sound streams.  So
    bart> theoretically I could have two applications speaking at
    bart> the same time.  Although alsa's dmix is meant to do
    bart> this as well.  In practice it has never worked for me,
    bart> it does with some applications and not others even
    bart> though they are all using alsa.  Regards
bart> bart> Bart bart> bart> Janina Sajka writes:
    >> situation. I don't believe pulseaudio provides drivers for
    >> application access.
    >> issues >> of audio access. Woefully insufficient, of
    >> course. We''' >> have to expand their thinking, I suspect.
    >> the >> outloud speech server to use pulseaudio instead of
    >> alsa >> directly?
    >> emacspeak >> would be able to run along side orca if they
    >> are both >> using pulseaudio?
    >> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a > subject of >>
    >> "unsubscribe" or "help"
    >> sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxx >> Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC
    >> in >> the U.S. and Canada Learn more at >>
    >> http://ScreenlessPhone.Com
    >> Foundation >> http://a11y.org
    bart> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
    bart> address on the emacspeak list send mail to
    bart> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a subject of
    bart> "unsubscribe" or "help"