Re: Espeak Server Likes PulseAudio?

A lot probably does depend on how the distro configures things. When I was originally setting up pulseaudio, I had to do things like setup up alsa asoundrc files so taht ALL requests were sent via the pulseaudio layer. However, for the last couple of Ubuntu releases, I've just run it all 'out of the box'.

When I look at the sound streams using the pulseaudio volume manager, I notice that apps I know are compiled to use ALSA show up as ALSA playback, while those which are compiled against pulseaudio just say Playback. This makes me think that Ubuntu has configured alsa so that all requests are directed throught eh pulseaudio layer. If this is the case, it would explain why I don't see any contention over the sound device betwen also and pulse.

The biggest problem I have these days is because I use gnome orca, speech dispatcher, emacspeak and chromevox, sometimes, the computer becomes too chatty and it sounds like I've got a crowd of people all trying to talk to me at the same time. However most of the time, this is not too bad and some playing with keymaps/key bindings has made life easier. I suspect that a bit of orca configuration/scriptiong would also help.

Tim

On 30 March 2013 12:46, Jason White <jason@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim Cross <theophilusx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Note that there should be no problems with alsa and pulseaudio. Pulseaudio
> is not a replacement for alsa. It is another abstraction layer on top of it
> and pulseaudio needs alsa

Part of the problem might be that PulseAudio holds devices open even when not
in use, so that applications which access the Alsa layer directly fail to open
audio devices.

As I remember, there is a way to configure PulseAudio to relinquish devices
temporarily that aren't being used by applications.

With apologies in advance if I am wrong in the above - it's a while since I
read about these issues.