Re: FAQ was Beginner's guides

    G> New questions with answers should be mailed to the emacspeak
    G> mailing list with the subject line

    G> FAQ: <question>

Thanks for pointing that one out, Greg.  The main complaint I have
with the FAQ as it is is the structure assumes the purpose of using
Emacspeak is to do programming, and as such, I find my users are
almost immediately discouraged from reading it.  For example, the very
first first "commonly reported problem" is immediately technical and
assumes knowledge of shell programming.  It is also historically
rooted in Unix and rightly begins with a transition guide from
screen-readers, but I find new non-tech users are more interested
in getting started.

This is _not_ a complaint, just an innocent suggestion.  I'd like to
propose a re-ordering of the FAQ:

*Introduction:

* How to use this FAQ:

* How to contribute to this FAQ:
** Contributing new questions with answers:
** Contributing updates to an existing question:

* Getting Help with Emacs and Emacspeak
** Info pages
** Emacs help system
** How to join the Emacspeak user group
** Blinux Newbies mailing list
** Websites and online help

* Basic Concepts For Working With The Emacspeak Desktop:

** Objects Making Up The Emacspeak Desktop:
*** Modes, frames and buffers
*** Keymaps and major modes

** An Object-Oriented Desktop:
** Emacspeak Specializes Aural Interaction Based On Content:

** Specialized Aural Interaction:
*** Audio Formatting:
*** Structured Navigation:
*** Navigating The Desktop:
*** Everything Is Searchable:

** Switching from a screen-reader to Emacspeak:
*** Why Emacspeak is not a screen-reader:

* Audio Desktop Applications:
** Reading email
** Browsing the WWW:
** How do I browse, delete or rename files
** How do I maintain appointments?
** How do I read Usenet news?
** How do I author documents?
*** Using template.el
*** helper-modes (html, psgml, latex)
** HTML for WWW documents:
** XML for structured data:
*** Using DocBook (LDP's HOWTO-HOWTO)
** High-quality print documents:
** I want to have a symbolic calculator!
** What spreadsheet applications can I use?
** Where can I find (some application) for Emacspeak?

* Unix Desktop Applications
** Viewing UNIX online man pages:
** How do I run terminal oriented applications?
** Use M-x term for terminal applications:
** What Not To Do:
*** Do not run terminal oriented applications inside a shell
*** Do not use M-x terminal, M-x rlogin or M-x telnet.
** Running telnet sessions:

* Troubleshooting
** Commonly Reported Problems:
*** Emacspeak hits errors under Emacs 20.3:
*** Environment Variables
** Does Emacspeak Support Synthesizer XXX?

* What Is Fenestration?

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxxx>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
T(C)Inc Business Innovations through Open Source http://www.teledyn.com