Re: emacspeak away from pc's

I've run emacspeak on Sun and DEC/Compaq alphas (ES40s) witht he sound
coming back to my pc. Its been a while, but it worked well when I was
doing it.

I really like Greg's solution - speech being fed to you from your
wearable pc. Combining this with wireless networks and you would have
a vary flexible work environment. If you were a student or someone who
has to use public/semi-public pc labs, this woud be very nice as you
would have the flexibility to use any available pc in the lab. I loke
that.  When I was a student, there was a specific PC which had the
necessary hardware I needed and sometimes, it was difficult to get
access to that one PC. Speech fed via the wearable would have provided
just the solution needed.

Tim

 T> You could run emacspeak on something like a mainframe and have it
 T> talk to a speech server running on your laptop or desktop
 T> --haven't done this myself.

 T> But it should work since that is precisely what the ability to run
 T> a remote speech server is designed for -- when working at home or
 T> on the road (connected to the nework)-- I typically use the home
 T> machine or laptop as a thin client to my desktop workstation that
 T> runs a persistent emacspeak session for weeks on end.>>>>>
 T> "Robert" == Robert J Chassell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

 Robert> What do other emacspeak users use when away from the pc?

 Robert> I don't know what people do when not using a personal
 Robert> computer, but I
 am running Emacspeak on my pc, which is an
 Robert> IBM Thinkpad running Debian
 GNU/Linux.  This laptop is not
 Robert> too big; you should find it relatively convenient for that
 Robert> reason.  And, of course, you have multiple
 consoles, many
 Robert> users can log in, so you can separate your regular work
 Robert> from system administrative work, you can serve Web pages and
 Robert> other
 info, and so forth.  It is a proper machine.

 Robert> work as a physio (physical therapist) and so the
 Robert> notebood-sized
 computer has advantages, since I need to
 Robert> move around at work.
 For your purposes, a wearable might be
 Robert> best, as Greg suggested.

 Just curious: is anyone running
 Robert> Emacspeak something other than a pc,
 such as an IBM S390
 Robert> mainframe?  I know you can run GNU Emacs on it,
 but I don't
 Robert> know whether the 390 has an audio driver.

 -- Robert
 Robert> J. Chassell Rattlesnake Enterprises
 Robert> http://www.rattlesnake.com GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
 Robert> http://www.teak.cc bob@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Robert> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address
 Robert> on the
 emacspeak list send mail to
 Robert> "emacspeak-request@xxxxxxxxxxx" with a
 subject of