Re: Error: Could not load libibmeci.so

Hi Robert,

first the easy stuff. If the beep tool from the beep package does no
longer work, One way to restore the beep is to use the beep script
from the servers directory in the emacspeak CVS. You will need the
tones utility from the siggen package available from:

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jj/linux/siggen.html

I believe that if you run Tim's utility while an .asoundrc file is
present, it is not surprising that the values shown will correspond to
those in the .asoundrc file.

 I have seen the overlapping problem too. For me, it occured
 after I have removed the .asoundrc file.
under theese circumstances, a very large buffer size was used. This
would not be a large problem unless dmix is used. The problem only
occured for me after more than one process has tried to access the
sound device simultaniously. I guess that the step from 1 to 2
triggers the activation of dmix.

I suspect that with dmix, it is hard to cancel audio that has already
been mixed into the shared buffer. Discarding the buffer content when
one process issues a snd_pcm_drop() call would also discard the audio
being played by other processes, which is unacceptable. If the shared
buffer is large, this effect becomes noticeable. What I do not
understand is why the cancelling process continues playback
immediately, and does not wait until its own audio has stopped
playing. This is what causes the overlap.

Anyway, what you have to do is choose a buffer size that is small, I
would say at most 100ms. Mine is 4096 frames. Add some printfs to
atcleci.cpp to see what sizes for buffer_size and chunk_size are used.

Note that when testing different settings in the .asoundrc file, the
changes only take effect after all processes have closed the sound
device. This was at least the case for me. I guess that once the dmix
mechanism is started with certain settings, these can not be changed
while some processes still use the old ones. This may be different
with multi-channel sound cards, but in this case, there are probably
better alternatives than the use of dmix anyway.

Best regards, Lukas