Re: CLI versus GUI [was "Re: The great software speech server hunt"]

I agree it's not a matter of one versus the other, but I don't think
it's true that GUI presupposes CLI or that mouse presupposes keyboards.
There are multiple devices out there now, tablets and cell phones for
example, which have a GUI and a touch pad but no keyboard and maybe no
CLI either. If the GUI had absolutely no advantage over a CLI then why
is it so popular? Maybe we're talking about just software development,
but GUI development environments, like Eclipse, are also very popular,
and I can't imagine this would be the case if they had nothing to offer.
IMHO, I think both the CLI and the GUI have their place, for blind and
sighted computer users alike. I'd also like to see the parameters of
this study, but as I said earlier, I am dubious that the blind are
somehow disadvantaged when using a GUI other than regarding issues of
accessibility.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain@xxxxxxxxxxx