[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: log of a learning curve 02/14/99



Hi again,

RE the m-x term.  I can see that this might be the better route.  Thanks.
Will try it.  And thanks for nudging me.

RE intuitive process, yes it was, because it gave me the prompt, it told me
what it was then it used a word I didn't know.  So, I interpreted the word
to mean type something, or type your request.  It was an assumption made by
using previous experiences in similar circumstances.  It was a
transferance, an intuitive leap.

RE "brain dead screen readers", I am already seeing the differences here,
Raman, and I like what I see.  Let me explore a bit further before making
judgments between things, but what I see in Emacspeak is different and I do
like it.

Ann P.
At 02:30 PM 2/14/99 -0800, T. V. Raman wrote:
>
>>>>>> "Ann" == Ann K Parsons <akp@eznet.net> writes:
>
>    Ann> Hi all, <smile> Raman, just a couple of things.
>    Ann> First,I have just learned by what you responded,
>    Ann> that I need to slow down the rate a bit.  I heard
>    Ann> C-e as C1.  Of course I was getting it rong.
>All Emacspeak keybindings are on C-e
>    Ann> Next comment, you say I have to learn it.  Yea, and
>    Ann> I will.  However, aids to learning are important.
>No one said aids to learning were unimportant.
>However, if someone throws up their hands everytime there is
>     something new to learn,
>no one will make any progress.
>
>    Ann> For example, "regesp", means nothing to me at all.
>regexp == regular expression.
>You're entering a new culture--learn the language rather
>than complain about it.
>
>Also, C-h a is not something I would recommend to a newbee
>-it's designed to look up things you know about but have
>forgotten.
>
>So for a newbee what C-h a returns is likely to be more
>confusing than helpful.
>
>Use the info  pages, and use C-h f to get help on specific
>commands.
>Use C-h k to hear detailed documentation on what a key does 
>and C-h c for a brief message.
>    Ann> I intuitively knew I was supposed to type a pattern
>    Ann> to search for, but if it had said, search patern,
>    Ann> or search for, or even just search, it would have
>    Ann> clued me in.  "Regesp" may mean something to you,
>
>Again, you're displaying the typical attitude of an  American 
>tourist visiting France  and asking "why can't these people
>talk plain English"
>    Ann> but the intuitive process to get there is a bit
>    Ann> essoteric. (sp)
>What intuitive process?
>
>
>Overall, you'll probably get comfortable in the new
>environment faster  with a minor attitude adjustment--:-)
>
>And no, the reason why the tab key didn't do what you expect
>in your VR application
>is that you're running inside a shell buffer which is really
>only designed for 
>doing shell level tasks --and not for running full-screen
>apps like pine and friends.
>For the latter you will need to use term --at which points
>Emacspeak degrades to being a dos-like braindead
>screenreader.
>
>
>    Ann> As for the telnet sessions, no I was using a shell.
>    Ann> It worked well, how should I be accessing this?  I
>    Ann> went to the shell, typed the telnet address I
>See Matt's note to the list.
>    Ann> needed and voila~ I didn't have any trouble at all,
>    Ann> except when I tried to use the standard MOO client
>    Ann> I'm used to, and the tab key didn't work as
>    Ann> expected.
>
>    Ann> More annon, Ann P.
> 
>
>    Ann> '
>
>-- 
>Best Regards,
>--raman
>
>      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 408 536 3945   (W14-128)
>      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 408 537 4042 
>      W14-128 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@adobe.com 
>      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
>      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
>      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/    (Cornell)
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be
taken
>as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.
>____________________________________________________________
>
>
>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
       To unsubscribe or change your address send mail to
"emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"


Emacspeak Files | Subscribe | Unsubscribe