Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak

    LL> However, there is a noticeable pause between the moment a
    LL> command is issued and the corresponding speech starts. I cannot
    LL> tell if the pause is silence generated by the tts or if it takes
    LL> that long for the speech to be synthesized. In the latter case,
    LL> a faster machine might in fact help.

I think this is indeed the initial pause.  Try to add the following
setting to your Festival startup file:

  (require 'nopauses)
  (set! inhibit-initial-pauses t)

    LL> Thus, it seems that if one is looking for good responsiveness,
    LL> festival used through either espeakf or speech-dispatcher should
    LL> not be one's first choice.

Actually Festival's responsiveness is good with Speech Dispatcher.
We've made several arrangements in Speech Dispatcher and
festival-freebsoft-utils to make the responsiveness good and although I
can't completely exclude there may still be weird situations when
Festival delays, regular responsiveness should be pretty fine.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal