Re: just a newbi problem, want to use festival, not flite with emacspeak

Some observations:

I just tried speech dispatcher with festival again. I am using
fspeech dispatcher via speechd-el this time. I am using the packages
from Debian unstable.

When using the flite output module of speech dispatcher,
responsiveness is the same as with eflite in emacspeak. When using the
festival output module in speech dispatcher, some of the problems seen
in espeakf go away. Speech stops immediately when it should. However,
there is a noticeable pause between the moment a command is issued and
the corresponding speech starts. I cannot tell if the pause is silence
generated by the tts or if it takes that long for the speech to be
synthesized. In the latter case, a faster machine might in fact help.

Thus, it seems that if one is looking for good responsiveness,
festival used through either espeakf or speech-dispatcher should not
be one's first choice. things look differently  if priorities lie
with support for multiple voices or languages.

Best regards, Lukas