Re: listing the most user friendly apps with emacspeak.

Interesting lisp code here.  How did you figure all that out? I'm not
aware of the internal dired variables or functions like filename.  At
present, I'm mainly using speakup and emacs natively without emacspeak
just yet.  Is it possible to have dired launch you into something and
then have that launched application give you proper focus and control
and then when done with it, have it close and dired come back in?  I'm
using emacs without X at all.  I'm actually using the dired-x because it
supposedly has some extensions to the original dired if that makes any
difference.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 11:31:44AM +0200, Lukas Loehrer wrote:
> Steve Holmes writes ("Re: listing the most user friendly apps with emacspeak."):
> > I'm still looking for a way to launch files from Dired and still be able
> > to control the launched application.  Example: I activate an mp3 file
> > from Dired and say, it launches mplayer.  I right now, cannot control
> > mplayer once it is launched.  Dired still has focus.  Is there any way
> > to get into mplayer and manipulate it and then quit to have control go
> > back to Dired?
> I do not know a general answer to your problem, but
> in the case of mplayer, I use something like the following in my
> .emacs file:
>
> (defun ll-dired-do-with-filename (action &rest args)
>   "Apply action to currently selected filename"
>   (let ((filename (dired-get-filename nil t)))
> 	(if filename
> 		(apply action filename args)
> 	  (message "No file selected"))))
>
> (when (featurep 'emacspeak)
>   (define-key dired-mode-map "\C-cp"
> 	(lambda ()
> 	  (interactive)
> 	  (ll-dired-do-with-filename 'emacspeak-m-player))))
>
> With this, you can do "C-c p" when on an mp3 file in dired and the
> m-player integration of emacspeak will start. Do "C-h m" then to see
> the available commands.
> If you are only interested in the audio, make sure you have the
> "novideo" option set in your mplayer configuration file. This should
> prevent it from stealing focus when launched under X.
>
> Best regards, Lukas

- --
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!