Re: Emacspeak auditory icons

zkline@ writes ("Re: Emacspeak auditory icons"):
> 	I'm using Eflite as a speech synthesizer, hence my reference to
> software speech.
> The value I'm refering to is found in the Emacspeak Sounds customization
> group, as 'Emacspeak Auditory Icon Function'.  I'm not entirely sure
> what each of these functions does different from the others, but the
> current setting is emacspeak-queue-auditory-icons

If I remember correctly, eflite does not support playing auditory
icons by itself. Thus, you will need the following settings:

(emacspeak-toggle-auditory-icons t)
(setq emacspeak-auditory-icon-function 'emacspeak-play-auditory-icon)
(setq emacspeak-play-program "aplay")

Basically, you have to instruct emacspeak to play the icons via the
"aplay" program. To be able to use auditory icons in this way together
with software speech, you will either need a sound card that supports
hardware mixxing, or you must make sure that eflite uses Alsa for
audio playback.

As for your problems with media streams: Make sure mplayer is
correctly installed. Also, can you use mplayer successfully from the command
line? When using mplayer, the same problems with sound mixing apply,
thus you must make sure mplayer uses alsa. Put something like the
following in your ~/.mplayer/config file:

# No video on the console
novideo=1
vo=null
# Use alsa for audio playback
ao=alsa:device=default

The first two setting disable video output, the third sets Alsa as the
audio output method.

Best regards, Lukas