Re: CLI versus GUI [was "Re: The great software speech server hunt"]

I think I'm most inclined to agree with Christopher. I also think that the GUI can be just as beneficial to a blind user as the cli. I use both environments daily and prefer each for different tasks. At work, I exclusively use GUI as we are a windows only operation and, without knowing how to use a GUI interface it would not be possible to do my job. To give you an example, last week, I had to teach a class on reallocating investments on a client's account. It involved screenshots added to a PowerPoint presentation which was put up on a projector. This is not something I imagine being able to do easily in a CLI. At other times, I create materials consisting of short videos of me navigating thorugh screens on our systems demonstrating how to perform a task for my learners. Again, this is something I could not imagine doing in cli. Sometimes, though, when I am doing some file maintenance, I may hop on to the windows cmd command line but that is rare. At home, in linux, the picture is different, of course. I think a blind person's best bet is to become profficient with both. I use console, emacspeak and Gnome and find it no trouble at all to seamlessly move between them in the course of using my machine. I guess my stance is use what works best for you and don't be afraid to try new ways of doing your work and, for Godsake don't decide what to use or not to use based on some software ideal. When you are visually impaired, accessibility narrows your choices somewhat so, you have to be pragmatic. That, however, is another bone of contention for another thread.

Alex M