Re: Turning Off voice-lock mode When Emacspeak Starts

Hi,

That will depend on a couple of things.

If you are running on a slowish computer then the pauses are likely
caused by the pysox processing of the output.  Also context switching
between speech engines on the mac if it's a slow one can take time.
Where time is still small but noticeable.

You can tweak your voice settings using customize to get results that
are more pleasing to your ear.

Bart

Haden Pike <haden.pike@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I agree with Tyler here.  I use the mac speech server and the Alex
> voice.  It'll be happily reading my code at normal pitch and volume,
> then suddenly pause for a second and read some text in a very bad
> imitation of James Earl Jones, then pause for a millisecond or so and go
> back to normal.  Maybe it's because I spent the past six or so years
> programming in Windows, but that just completely destroys my concentration.
>
> Another annoyance is when you switch to a new buffer and Emacspeak reads
> the mode line, sounding like it's just inhaled a bag of helium and with
> a strange little echo tone to it.  I assumed voice-lock was what
> controlled all of this, which is why I set out to find how to turn it off.
> Haden
>
> On 12/19/2012 7:20 PM, Jason White wrote:
>> Littlefield, Tyler <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> It's really irritating when the volume just randomly changes on you
>>> for me. I guess if it's something you start out with it's nice, but
>>> I want my code read to me without my synth pausing and totally
>>> switching on me; it tends to make things a lot harder to read and
>>> understand.
>> It doesn't change the volume or pause with any of the synthesizers that I have
>> used, so perhaps it's an issue with your particular synthesizer/speech server.

Bart
--

Kind regards

Bart