Re: Espeak Server Likes PulseAudio?

No this is fine. I was just curious and looking to save something away for future reference. I don't need anything right now.

On 04/01/2013 12:00 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
I can dig up the exact URL when I get home tonight.  But in the
meantime, I can give you an indirect way to get there.  It is a page
in the ArchLinux wiki and the suggested change shouldn't be too Arch
specific other than telling you to remove a package called
pulseaudio-alsa; actually, that package contains only wone file,
/etc/asound.conf <smile>. so First off, remove /etc/asound.conf if you
have it and then go to
https://wiki.archlinux.org and search for pulseaudio.
Once in that document navigate on down till you find a section
discussing how to get pulse and ALSA to work without stepping on each
other.  They start out that part saying that it is "not recommended in
most cases but as far as I'm concerned, I want to use espeakup with
speakup so I need to do this hack.  they talk about modifying
/etc/pulse/default.pa by uncommenting a couple static driver
allocations and commenting auto detection.  It looks to me that they
are channeling pulseaudio into ALSA's dmix plug-in but I'm not
positive.

The only side effect I'm noticing is that emacspeak is a bit sluggish
in speech reaction but works well enough for me for the time being.
Let me know if you still need an exact link or if this description
gets you on your way.